Apartment Fire in Oconomowoc
OCONOMOWOC - Fire departments from a number of communities put out a fire at an apartment building in downtown Oconomowoc just before 4:30 a.m. Friday morning.
The building is a 16-unit complex on the corner of Washington and Wisconsin Avenue (Highway 67) in that city.
Firefighters had to rescue two people from windows, and 12 people had to leave the building due to the fire.
One person received minor injuries and was treated at the scene.
An official said the fire started in the first floor on the west side of the building. A candle or cigarette may have caused the fire.
The fire was contained to the unit where it started, and the first floor took much of the smoke damage.
"Smoke travels very quickly, and it was very heavy at that time," said Oconomowoc Public Safety Director and Police Chief David Beguhn. "Even though the fire was on a lower unit, it did travel throughout the building."
He said that people woke up to the sound of smoke detectors going off, and everyone was able to escape safely.
People displaced by the fire were taken to a community center a short distance from the fire scene The Red Cross is assisting them as well.
Preliminary damage estimates currently run at about $75,000.
Some people who live in the building have been able to go in and gather some of their items. It's possible that some of those people may be able to stay in their apartments tonight.