Dirty Health Clinic Shut Down
MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee Alderman Michael McGee is waging a fight against an Illinois-owned free clinic he claimed was run down and unsanitary. So TODAY'S TMJ4 reporter Ty Milburn checked out the Milwaukee Immediate Care Center at 19th and Capitol.
Garbage was stacked high in offices; asbestos was in the basement, and we even found rat poison in the lobby.
Latressa Lewis said she no longer feels safe bringing her children there. "It stinks and it is really bad, and you get sick and you come back here and it's really bad," she said.
Workers agreed something needs to be done. Medical assistant Darshelle Bray said, "How can you come here sick to be seen and you will get sicker up in here?"
There were deplorable conditions on the second floor of the clinic as well. TODAY'S TMJ4 found buckets filled with old water. The smell of mildew was thick in the air, and we found boxes upon boxes of old medication.
Perry Margoles, the clinic administrator, defended the conditions. "There might be dampness in the air because of the heavy rain," he said. "There's no mildew."
When asked about the rat traps, he said, "I put it over here so kids can't get to it. It is a preventative aspect."
A few hours after TODAY'S TMJ4 started asking questions, the city actually stepped in and closed the clinic.
Margoles does admit the clinic needs work and improvements, but says because they are a non-profit, that they don't have the funds to make the improvements. He blames the bank which helps with the clinic's finances.