Vietnam says autopsy shows no toxins in Lake Geneva tourist
HANOI, Vietnam (AP) -- Police in Vietnam say an American tourist who died in July under unexplained circumstances suffered respiratory failure and that an autopsy found no toxins in her body.
Kari Bowerman, of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, and her friend, Canadian Cathy Huynh, died in the central resort city of Nha Trang shortly after their arrival in Vietnam.
Police officer Nguyen Hong Ky said Wednesday that the 27-year-old Bowerman died of acute respiratory failure due to brain swelling and that no toxic traces were found in her blood or gastric fluid.
There was no autopsy performed on Huynh, who died three days after Bowerman.
A U.S. Embassy spokesman in Vietnam referred questions about Bowerman's death to Vietnamese authorities.