5 Milwaukee firefighters recovering from north side home explosion
Click on the video link under Related Videos to see Milwaukee Fire Chief Mark Rolfing's raw press conference about the explosion.
MILWAUKEE- Five Milwaukee firefighters are recovering from injuries after a natural gas explosion near N. 38th St. and W. Townsend St. Sunday night.
Firefighters were alerted to a natural gas odor and tried ventilating a house at 3425. N. 38th Street. During the ventilation, natural gas ignited and exploded -- injuring three firefighters and one civilian. They have been taken to the hospital
According to Milwaukee Fire Chief Mark Rolfing, two firefighters were injured during the subsequent fire fight.
Rolfing noted that two firefighters suffered first degree burns to the face; second and third degree burns to their hands and arms from the explosion. Those firefighters are being treated at the burn unit at Columbia St. Mary's and going to recover, according to Rolfing.
One firefighter suffered heat exhaustion and has been released from the hospital; one was treated for minor burns and has been treated and released from a local hospital; one was injured when part of the building collapsed on him -- he has been treated and released from the hospital.
Rolfing urged people that smell gas to leave their home immediately and then call 9-1-1. He said that touching any electricity in that situation could result in a gas explosion.