Four Rescued from Four-Alarm Fire in Cudahy
MILWAUKEE - Four people have been recovering Wednesday after a four-alarm fire burned through their home in Cudahy.
The fire began inside a group of apartments near the corner of South Packard and East Squire Avenues late Tuesday night.
Fire investigators said Wednesday they believe an unattended candle started the fire inside the building that had no working smoke detectors.
Black smoke filled the apartments.
• Click here to see raw video from the fire scene, including a cat that was rescued.
Crews rescued four people who apparently had been trapped inside.
Firefighters were able to locate one woman by talking to her on the phone.
All four people suffered smoke inhalation, and rescue crews took them to a hospital.
"All of the buildings are really close together," said Kris Griffith, a business owner.
She and her husband Randy drove to work early to see if the building the business they own was damaged.
Officials also rescued a cat which belonged to Jonathan Knight, whose mother and nephew were trapped inside.
Jonathan arrived when fire was shooting out of the building.
"The flames were coming right out of my mom's room, and I had no proof that whether they were still in there or they got out," said Jonathan.
"They didn't get out. There was nothing. It was unbelievable."
Officials called for assistance from several outside agencies from as far away as Waukesha and Racine Counties.
Investigators are thankful this fire happened just before bed time, and not later.
"If the fire happened later in the evening, and they were sleeping and didn't hear the crashes, I don't know how this would have turned out," said Cudahy Fire Chief Dan Mayer.