Call 4 Action
Getting healthcare coverage now
MILWAUKEE - Healthcare reform may help us to obtain medical coverage in the future.
What do you do if you need help paying for your medical bills today? Where can you turn now for help?
Having a good, comprehensive health insurance plan is truly the best way to pay these bills.
Unfortunately, it can be expensive and hard to access, especially if you have pre-existing conditions, or it is not offered through your employer.
Here are some options that you may want to consider:
• Shop around for individual medical plans or group plans offered through your employer or professional associations.
Keep in mind, higher the deductibles and co-payments will lower the premium.
• If a pre-existing condition prevents you from obtaining coverage, you can also check into plans offered through the state and federal health insurance risk sharing plan also known as HIRSP.
If your income is low, you might also qualify for a reduced rate on these plans.
• Check out short term medical plans.
Although these plans will not cover pre-existing conditions, they may provide temporary coverage for other health issues at a fraction of the cost of individual plans.
What do you do if you already have medical bills, but cannot afford to pay them?
Contact the provider immediately, asking about charity programs, discounts, or payment plans that can be arranged.
If you need help with prescription drugs, ask your doctor or hospital social worker for information about some of programs offered through pharmaceutical companies, state or local government, or other sources that can provide discounts or limited supplies at little or no charge.
• RX Assist
• Needy Meds
• Partnership for Prescription Assistance
• Badger RX Gold
• NACO Prescription Drug Discount Card