Call 4 Action
Hiring a roofer
MILWAUKEE - Are you planning to have work done on your roof?
Before the work begins, you may want to do your homework to avoid having problems later.
If you are planning to have work done on your roof, make sure that you know who you are dealing with, how much it will cost, and how the work will be warranted before you sign a contract, pay money, or have the work done.
Repair or replacement of a roof can be quite costly and problematic if you have not done your homework.
In fact, problems with roofers ranks in the top ten of all complaints that our office receives each year.
If you plan to hire a roofer, here is how you can check things out:
• Get more than one written estimate from reputable contractors who have experience with several types of roofs.
• Make sure that these estimates include cost, warranties, start and finish dates, and a street address and phone number for the contractor.
• Check out their reputation with consumer agencies like the Better Business Bureau or Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
• Before allowing work to begin, be sure that you have a contract that matches the estimate, and confirm that all permits have been pulled, and that proof of insurance is currently in force.
• Also, do not pay in full until all work has been completed satisfactorily and that lien waivers have been provided.
If you experience a problem with a roofing contractor, contact consumer resources like our Call 4 Action office, Better Business Bureau or Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
Keep in mind, the longer you wait to report a problem, the more difficult it could be to resolve the issue.