JUST POINTING IT OUT
SCHOOL BOARD PROTECTING THE SCHOOL BOARD
Reasonable people can disagree about the merits of the proposal to have Mayor Tom Barrett take over MPS.
I'm not picking sides, but I do want to point out some things that we haven't talked a great deal about. There things that School Board Directors like former President Peter Blewett would prefer to keep quiet.
1. School Board Directors for Milwaukee Public Schools make more than $18,000 a year.
2. School Board Directors rejected a move to cut their pay.
3. School Board Directors would likely lose their $18,000 a year jobs if the take-over were to happen.
4. School Board Directors just approved spending a quarter of a million dollars on lawyers to protect their jobs.
5. Tom Barrett would not make any more money for taking over MPS... he would just have more headaches.
Again, I think there are reasoned arguments for maintaining an elected board, and reasoned arguments against. I'm just saying you always have to know where people are coming from. One thing government does very, very well is perpetuate itself.