Badgers Coaching Search Update
A List of Possibilities
It's been a little while since I updated the list of possible candidates to take over the job in Madison, so here's a current list in order of likelihood on becoming head coach:
1. As the Wisconsin State Journal's Tom Mulhern first reported, Utah State's Gary Andersen is the mystery candidate and quickly has moved to the top, if not to the top. Stay tuned for updates!
2. Melvin Tucker--The Jacksonville Jaguars Defensive Coordinator served as Jacksonville's Interim Head Coach last year. He recently interviewed with Barry Alvarez. Tucker played for Alvarez in the early 90's, and is considered to be a bright mind and a rising star. He would be UW's first African-American Head Football Coach if he was offered the job and considered leaving the NFL. Experts think Tucker could be appealing to some new avenues of recruiting.
3. Dave Clawson & Doug Marrone--The Bowling Green and Syracuse Head Coaches could be on Barry's radar, but as of right now don't seem to be as close to the top of the list.
4. Chris Ash--The Badgers Defensive Coordinator is considering throwing his hat in the ring, but seems like a long shot since Alvarez prefers head coaching experience.
5. Joe Rudolph, Darrell Bevell, Jay Norvell--The first two are former Badgers who played for Alvarez. After one year as Pitt's Offensive Coordinator, Rudolph isn't ready to be a head coach yet, and no Alvarez is not going to coach for a year with Rudolph in waiting. Bevell and Madison native Norvell seem to be longer shots than Ash.
And no, Paul Chryst, Al Golden, Chris Peterson, Jim Tressel and Gary Patterson all are not on the list for a reason. They're not coming.
Follow me on twitter @lanceallan